Email survived last night. (was: Re: all my email vanished -- again)

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 12:28:41AM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
> David Kirchner wrote:
> >On 12/2/05, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@pooq.com> wrote:
> >>Yes, last night all the massages I had left in /var/mail/hendrik
> >>vanished *again*.  Just like the night before.  Of course, by the
> >>time I got to look at my mail, a few new ones had arrived.
> >>
> >>I'm starting to think it's not just a fluke.
> >
> >Do you have some sort of IMAP/POP server installed, and could a client
> >be fetching and then deleting all mail? Maybe a long shot.
>
> Or someone else who's gotten ahold of your password.  Change it, and
> it'll lock out any clients you don't know about right now.  Also read
> your logs carefully -- see if clients are authenticating at times you
> don't expect.

Well, my mail survived last night after I moved the entire mal spool to
another partition.  Can't see as that should really make a difference,
though.

Don't have an IMAP/POP server running, as far as I know.  Unless
aptitude or dselect smuggled one in long ago.
Checking logs still seems to be in my immediate future, though.

-- hendrik