Re: How to remove exim4 when aptitude doesnt think its installed?

On 11/30/05, T <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:12:35 +0000, Andy wrote:
>
> > Hello List,
> >
> > How should I go about removing files relating to the exim4 package, when
> > aptitude doesn't think the package is installed?
>
> This is the very situation that low level command dpg comes into play. Try:
>
> dpkg --purge exim4

This won't work. Aptitude uses the dpkg databases to determine what is
installed. Additionally, exim4's just a metapackage depending on the
actual exim4 packages. In this case, he'll probably need to reinstall
exim4, then remove it. For example:

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/exim4/exim4-base_4.50-8_i386.deb
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/exim4/exim4-daemon-light_4.50-8_i386.deb
dpkg --force-depends --unpack exim4-base_4.50-8_i386.deb
exim4-daemon-light_4.50-8_i386.deb
dpkg --purge exim4-base exim4-daemon-light