Re: Filesharing on small LAN

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 11:19:04PM +0100, Guido Heumann wrote:

> I've seen this question coming up before, and I'm interested in this
> as well.  It really seems to me that the solutions you mentioned are
> the only "mature" ways for linux-to-linux filesharing.
>
> I also know of the lufs utilities, which can mount a remote
> filesystem via ssh or ftp. In my experience ssh works well, but lufs
> is described as experimental quality in the readme, so obviously one
> should not rely on it.
>
> Are there really no other reliable solutions? I hope I missed
> something too...

Coda is at least mature enough for the MIT university network and
the stock Linux kernel, if that means anything.  Personally, I would
recommend 'unison' as a way to avoid filesystem sharing altogether.
(Unison requires a mirrored copy of the shared data on every client, and
just keeps them all in sync).

Also, AFS is an improved derivative of Coda which I think is still in
a more experimental stage, but may be worth a try.