multi-gnome-terminal in sid

Hi,

I installed multi-gnome-terminal in sid, but when I start it up, the
characters in the terminal are not standard ascii characters; they are
unusual characters, some with accents , and some are simply boxes.
Furthermore, there is no blank space in the terminal window, but it is
filled with these characters.I did a search and read through some of
the manual, but don't know what might be causing this.  Any
suggestions on how to get it working?  Thanks,

Ric