Re: Printing from C/C++ ?

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:55:48PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> John Carline wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Can someone give me a good reference for printing from a C program or
> > perhaps a few lines of C or C++ code that will route program formated
> > data/text to my local printer.
> >
> > There seems to be a glaring lack of this information in the 5 C/C++
> > books I have.
> >
> > Thanks for any assistance.
> > John
> >

> you can print through emacs, the whole file or parts of it and much more.
>
> Let us say you want to print a part of a C++ file in emacs where syntac
> highlighting is ON. Select the desired region with your mouse, then
> Ctrl-u M-x ps-print-region-with-highlighting is the command I think.
> This will print the region to a PS file and you can then send that file
> a printer. Alternatively, you can send the output directly to printer
> instead of a PS file.
>
> ->HS

I believe what he's looking for is how to print from within a C/C++ app.
My question is why re-invent the wheel. Why recode lp, just do one of:
	system("lp /tmp/my_report")
	fork/exec("lp /tmp/my_report")
	p = popen("lp"); fprintf(p, ...)

They would all seem to work while keeping up the traditions of unix