Re: Can't login... need help

Paul Ravish wrote:
Hi All,

I'm kinda a newbie to Linux, and I think messed something up. I can't login through the gnome desktop manager anymore. I used to be able to login and I can login under a different account on the system. I do have several error log files, but I don't really know where to start in fixing things.

So here is what happens.

The Gnome Desktop Manager login dialog comes up. I type in my name and hit OK. Then I type in my password and hit OK. It seems like it's trying to log me in at this time but then just comes back to the login prompt.

I would try to restart the gdm (that is the gnome desktop manager). One does this like this:

1.press Ctrl+Alt+F1
2.login as root in text mode

/etc/init.d/gdm restart

4. press Ctrl+Alt+F7
5. try to login again in graphic mode

In /tmp there is a file called xses-paul.QrE84n. Inside it looks like
the log files in linux are usually in /var/log directory. If you would like to see gdm logs they are in /var/log/gdm and the ones for the xserver in /var/log/XFree86.* or /var/log/Xorg.* (depending on what you are using). btw, what kind of linux you are using?

xrdb gives and error message of "No such file or directory" and "Can't open display ':0'.

Any suggestions to fix this problem would be appreciated.

  --Paul Ravish