Re: Can't login... need help

Paul Ravish wrote:
Hi All,

I'm kinda a newbie to Linux, and I think messed something up. I can't login through the gnome desktop manager anymore. I used to be able to login and I can login under a different account on the system. I do have several error log files, but I don't really know where to start in fixing things.

So here is what happens.

The Gnome Desktop Manager login dialog comes up. I type in my name and hit OK. Then I type in my password and hit OK. It seems like it's trying to log me in at this time but then just comes back to the login prompt.

I would try to restart the gdm (that is the gnome desktop manager). One does this like this:

1.press Ctrl+Alt+F1
2.login as root in text mode
3.type:

/etc/init.d/gdm restart

4. press Ctrl+Alt+F7
5. try to login again in graphic mode

In /tmp there is a file called xses-paul.QrE84n. Inside it looks like
the log files in linux are usually in /var/log directory. If you would like to see gdm logs they are in /var/log/gdm and the ones for the xserver in /var/log/XFree86.* or /var/log/Xorg.* (depending on what you are using). btw, what kind of linux you are using?

	Cheers,
	Ivan
xrdb gives and error message of "No such file or directory" and "Can't open display ':0'.

Any suggestions to fix this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

  --Paul Ravish