Re: udev local rules

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 07:45:26AM +0000, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am migrating from `hotplug' to `udev':
> at this stage I am trying to write local rules.
> I read the documentation provided within the package `udev',
> and succeeded to make basic stuff for my USB stick. I have just
> tried to do the same for my USB mobile hard drive, but without succcess:
> the two configuration may be very similar.
> I suspect that my local rules are not at the right place inside
> `/etc/udev/udev.d':
> where must we place the local rules wrt the Debian policy ?
> is there any relevant documentation on the subject ?
> or the issue is still very new ?

Rules go in /etc/udev/rules.d/ and must have extension .rules.  This is
documented in the udev(8) man page.  This directory can be changed in
udev.conf, but that would disable any package-installed rules.

Debian packages seem to put rules files in /etc/udev, but note that
these are not used from that location: they are targets of symlinks in
/etc/udev/rules.d/ (when there is no link, the rules file is disabled).
This makes rules easy to enable, disable and re-order without breaking
on upgrade; you may want to adopt the same policy for your local
changes.