Re: kernel upgrade questions

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 05:35:49PM -0500, David Zelinsky wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade the kernel from 2.4 to 2.6 on my Thinkpad.  I'm
> using custom built kernel rather than the stock debian kernel, since
> the stock kernel doesn't have some features that I want.
>
> My question is how to deal with all entries in /etc/modules.conf and
> /etc/modules that refer to modules that don't exist in 2.6, and the
> new modules which didn't exist in 2.4.  I would like to be able to
> boot into the old 2.4 kernel and have everything work as before.  Is
> there a way to have entries in these files be conditional on the
> kernel version?

Please see the /etc/init.d/module-init-tools script on how to make sure
/etc/modules is chosen depending on the currently running kernel.
Naming the files /etc/modules-2.4 and /etc/modules-2.6 should work.
You will rarely need to load any modules explicitely if you have
discover/hotplug or something similar installed.

Under kernel 2.6, modprobe does not use /etc/modules.conf anymore.
Have a look at the files in the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory instead.

best regards
Mirko