kernel upgrade questions

I'm trying to upgrade the kernel from 2.4 to 2.6 on my Thinkpad.  I'm
using custom built kernel rather than the stock debian kernel, since
the stock kernel doesn't have some features that I want.

My question is how to deal with all entries in /etc/modules.conf and
/etc/modules that refer to modules that don't exist in 2.6, and the
new modules which didn't exist in 2.4.  I would like to be able to
boot into the old 2.4 kernel and have everything work as before.  Is
there a way to have entries in these files be conditional on the
kernel version?

-David