Re: SATA Installing Problem

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 09:16:56AM +0100, silvain van Weers wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First I want to apologize for my tiny knowledge of the debian system at all.
> I recently bought a Japanese Sony Vaio type VGN-S53B (which roughly
> corresponds to the american S series (e.g S250/S270).
>
> My first step was wiping all the WinXP stuff and reformatting the
> harddrive in order to attempt to install Debian sarge.
Not a good move on a laptop: occasionally you need to keep
manufacturers restore partitions or whatever. A bit late now.

Try using a Knoppix disk - see if that finds a hard drive.
> The Debian installer was unable to recognize the harddrive, even
> attempting to pas "linux26" as parameter didn't result in detection.
> Using "modprobe sata-" alternatives on the alt+f2 console didn't have
> any effect. The installer claims that "no partitionable harddrive" was
> detected. My laptop stores one harddrive (which I think is SATA) of
> 60gb. The BIOS doesn't show any options to put this drive in
> "compatibility" or any other modes.

Try the Debian installer for "Testing" - available from the debian
installer page. Your laptop is only about 6 months old - the installer
for Sarge was finalised a while ago. It is possible that the new
installer may work better.

> I think it would be wise to put my question/problem on such a huge
> mailinglist. I already searched (read) many forums but my problem
> seems quite specific.
>
> I now wonder if my hardware is even supported (too new laptop??)  and
> if it was wise to buy it at all, since I wanted it to run Debian only.
It probably _is_ supported but just possibly not by Debian stable.

Andy