Re: SATA Installing Problem

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 05:21:05PM +0100, silvain van Weers wrote:
> Thanx for your replies. I guess my laptop is too new... I tried using
> the older 2.4 and 2.6 kernel (and tried expert modes), but the
> installer just won't get past through partition step: "no partionable
> media found".
> There is also no option in my vaio's bios which lets me choose IDE
> mode or anything... Seems I have to use winxp as a result..
>
> I wonder how SATA support will be enhanced in linux in the future;
> seeing the posts of people having trouble mounting/installing SATA
> devices..

SATA support is definately there already, but you might not have a
recent enough kernel on your installation CD.

> Anyone some extra ideas before I must stick to winxp?

Sure! First of all, is there a way you can try to figure out what
chipset you have on your machine? Posting that will help a lot to make
sure you are booting a kernel that is capable of detecting your
disks.

Are you trying to run Debian stable or testing? If you are interested
in testing, I would recommend trying the "etch" installation CD which
has a newer kernel version then the Sarge installer.

http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/etch_d-i/i386/beta1/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso

Try starting with linux26 to run the 2.6 kernel.

Also, if you can't figure out what chipset you have from the
documentation you should be able to run lspci from one of the shells
during installation, that will tell us what chipset you have.

Also, before giving up make sure you try the debian-boot mailing list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/

HTH

/Daniel