Re: SATA Installing Problem

silvain van Weers wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First I want to apologize for my tiny knowledge of the debian system at all.

No need to apologize; no one is born knowing everything.

[snip]

> The Debian installer was unable to recognize the harddrive, even
> attempting to pas "linux26" as parameter didn't result in detection.

Did you try to install the 2.4 kernel? Although some claim otherwise,
the 2.6 kernel installation is impossible (it was last time I tried, a
couple of months ago, and things seem to not have changed). Fact is
that 2.6 kernels detect SATA drives as SCSI, and therefore name them
/dev/sdaX. Problem is the installer creates a /etc/fstab with /dev/hdaX
entries for SATAs, hence the filesystem cannot be mounted after reboot
:^(

I'd recommend installing a 2.4 kernel, then switching to 2.6, and
making due changes, specifically /etc/fstab, /etc/grub/menu.lst and
also what modules are inserted at boot time (search this list for
"Basajaun" and "SATA" for some posts on the subject).

[snip]

> If this is not the place to post my question I humbly apologize.

If this were not the place to post such questions, WE should apologize.

> Many thanx in advance,

[snip]

You're welcome!

     Basajaun