Re: [root user] How to disable root account?

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 04:34:12PM +0100, belbo wrote:

I've seen Ubuntu linux, and I've noticed the disabled root account. I like this
solution, how can I disable root account on my etch debian?

sudo passwd -l root

I am not sure if that will actually do it, but it seems logical.

I haven't tried this (nor would I want to) but it does not sound like a good idea to me. First, man passwd says that the -l option is for locking user accounts, it may not work on root. Secondly, if you do lock out root, how whould you administer the system? Would sudo still allow you root access? I don't know and I would not want to try it on MY system.

--
Marc Shapiro