Re: [root user] How to disable root account?

Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> writes:

> Secondly, if you do lock out root, how whould you administer the
> system? Would sudo still allow you root access? I don't know and I
> would not want to try it on MY system.

If you don't know, why are you answering? ;-)

It works fine.

passwd -l simply sets the password to a value matching no
passwords. sudo works by running SUID root, and so does not depend on a
root password in any way.

Actually I think Ubuntu's approach is very sane. Setting a root password
should be optional during installation, and only available in expert
mode.