Re: Just installes Debian

Kent West wrote:

I think he's expecting Synaptic to be a little more helpful; I just installed it to see how it behaves, and when you search for "kde", it finds the KDE section, but not the KDE metapackage. You can then scroll through the KDE section and manually find the KDE metapackage, but that's not at all intuitive for the newbie. What's worse is that the description is not intuitive, talking about "official modules" and not depending on development packages, etc; that's uninterpretable by a newbie (I've got years of experience in Debian, and this description doesn't tell me what the package is for!); it would be helpful if the description said something like "if you want a basically complete KDE system on your Debian, box, this package is all you need to install (assuming you have X installed - installing the 'x-window-system' package will take care of that part for you").

What might be even better is if Synaptic incorporated the functions of "tasksel".

--
Kent