Re: Fileserver performance

Marty wrote:
Cliff Flood wrote:
Hi all,

I just got a new Dell[0] workstation yesterday and have Debian Testing running on it. What I intend using this machine for is a file server (an iTunes share using a DAAPd, store time-shifted TV etc.), to replace an ancient PC running OpenBSD 3.5. I'm moving the large discs from this machine to the new machine. The discs are both Western Digital, 250GB w/1MB cache and 200GB with 8MB respectively. They perform well in the machine being replaced.

I've hit a snag. When I mount a share from the Debian box on my PowerBook and play back some media, an avi for example, I get audio drop outs.

I had a similar problem recently, related to a motherboard BIOS setting.
If your NIC IRQ is set to edge-triggered, try changing it to level-triggered.

I've seen other evidence that some Linux drivers may have a problem with
edge-triggered IRQs.  If you find that this is your problem, please report
it here and I may research it further and consider filing a bug report.

Unfortunately the Dell BIOS does not go into that level of detail and the only thing I can do with the "Integrated Devices" is disable them. I have now disabled all of the devices that I have no need for and media is still drops.

--
Cliph/ff
http://chicks-dig-unix.net/