TUN device for VPN - File descriptor in bad state

Hello,

I'm trying to implement an opevpn server on my debian box. The first step was to recompile my kernel (2.4.32) with TUN?TAP support built in. I did this and created the /dev/net/tun device however it does not work. cat /dev/net/tun returns:

cat: /dev/net/tun: File descriptor in bad state

Searching the web for a debian specific solution has been a fruitless exercise. It seems the problem stems from a mismatch between the kernel and the installed headers. A similar question has been asked on the list before and the poster was pointed to the vtun list archives, however the only suggestion there is to link /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm to the current kernel source directory, afaik this is not the debian way and I don't know what else I'd break if I did this. Is there a better way to solve the problem?

regards,

drbob