Re: .bash_history

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 10:00:33PM +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:

> thanks for the tips about C-r Is there some sort of documentation on this? I'd
> like to see how much history it keeps. It's a seperate program from history,
> right?

       HISTSIZE
              The number of commands to remember in the command  history  (see
              HISTORY below).  The default value is 500.

[...]

       To  find  other matching entries in the history list, type Control-S or
       Control-R as appropriate.  This will search backward or forward in  the
       history  for  the  next  entry matching the search string typed so far.
       Any other key sequence bound to a readline command will  terminate  the
       search  and  execute that command.  For instance, a newline will termi-
       nate the search and accept the line, thereby executing the command from
       the history list.

> Looks like I might have to make 10 minutes somewhere to find out what history
> does from the man page.

Check out bash(1).

-Roberto

--