Re: Painful upgrade from XFree86 to X.Org

Hey Jim,

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 14:34 -0800, Jim McCloskey wrote:
> <mondalaci@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >         After upgrading from XFree86 to X.Org bad, bad things
> >         happened
> >         to me.
> >
> >         More specifically:
> >
> >         1) I cannot switch to the consoles with Alt-F1 - F8.
>
> Perhaps my post from a while ago:

> is relevant and might help.
>
> This part sounds like it might be the same problem you're having:

> 3. Most serious problem:
>
>    (EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
>
>    The most visible symptom here was that I could no longer use
>    Ctl-Alt-Fn to get back to the n-th virtual console from a running X
>    session. The solution in this case was to make a link from:
>
>      /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86 to  /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg
>
>    and also from:
>
>      /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst to  /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.1st.

Thanks a lot!

Oddly the xorg* files were missing from /etc/X11/xkb/rules/ despite
their package was installed so I copied these files from the .deb

My Emacs Delete-Backspace issue is completely solved now.

I can also switch to the console, but I cannot do it under Gnome.  Gnome
must have some evil ways for disabling this essential functionality and
I don't how could I workaround it, but I'm still happy with these
results anyway.

Keyboard repetiton doesn't have that problem anymore.

So thanks again, I'm a happy chappy.

--
Laci

    Blog: http://monda.hu/~laci/blog