FW: System set-up

From: Ed Paris [mailto:ed.paris@academicbusiness.com]
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 10:50 AM
To: Debian Users Group
Subject: System set-up

Hello All,
I am new to the Linux world and have a few questions.  I currently have a
small (miniscule) consulting group that needs a system that can mimic our
web hosting service provider so we can further develop our site.  We do not
currently intend to have this system as a web server. We have a 1999 Gateway
Pentium III system with the following characteristics:
*	320 MB of RAM
*	10 GB Western Digital hard drive
*	Promise Ultra ATA/66 hard drive controller
*	CD/DVD ROM optical disk (it cannot write to disk)
*	D-LINK DFE-530TX+ Ethernet card
*	Windows XP

We are planning to reconfigure the system to:
*	Same 320 MB of RAM
*	Replace the 10 GB drive with a Western Digital Caviar 40 GB Ultra
ATA/100 hard drive
*	Replace the Ultra/66 controller with a Promise Ultra ATA/100 TX2
controller that is backward compatible to our motherboard
*	Replace the CD/DVD ROM optical disk with an AOpen COM5232
combination CD-RW/DVD ROM drive
*	Keep the same Ethernet card
*	Run Debian 3.1 (sarge), Apache 1.3, PHP 4.1.1, and MySQL 4.0

Does any of this approach make sense to those of you who know Debian?
Would you advise me to run GNOME or KDE instead of staying with BASH?  I am
an old coder by heart with experience with BASIC, COBOL, and SAS if this
information helps with your answer.  I appreciate any assistance any of you
can give me on this adventure.
Take care,
Ed Paris