Re: Painful upgrade from XFree86 to X.Org

<mondalaci@gmail.com> wrote:

>         After upgrading from XFree86 to X.Org bad, bad things
>         happened
>         to me.
>
>         More specifically:
>
>         1) I cannot switch to the consoles with Alt-F1 - F8.

Perhaps my post from a while ago:

is relevant and might help.

This part sounds like it might be the same problem you're having:

3. Most serious problem:

   (EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

   The most visible symptom here was that I could no longer use
   Ctl-Alt-Fn to get back to the n-th virtual console from a running X
   session. The solution in this case was to make a link from:

     /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86 to  /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg

   and also from:

     /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst to  /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.1st.

HTH

Jim