Re: Newbie - 3.1r0a - "locale" problem on new install

Em Dom, 2005-11-20 às 16:34 -0800, Eric Miller escreveu:
> Hello Debian Users:
>
> Again, all seemed to go well until it got to "This
> program will now walk you through the process of
> setting up . . ."
>
> Then I got three error messages that repeated (it
> seemed to be in  a loop) -
>
> First -
> 13 77 Failed at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 166
>
> then -
> Can't exec "locale": No such file or directory at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 12
>
> and -
> Use of uninitialized value in scalar chomp at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 13
>
> I couldn't find any way to make it go any further.  I
> was able to shut down and I booted up a Knoppix CD,
> mounted the HD file systems and was able to look at
> the scripts.  Dialog.pm is aparently generated by
> another process.  The version on the drive didn't have
> anywhere close to 166 lines.  I was able to look at
> the script Encoding.pm and I saw where it was trying
> to use "locale" but I didn't see anything I could do
> to resolve the error.
>
> I would appreciate any advice or assistance.

Even at tht earl stage, you have access to other terminals
through Alt+F2, Alt+F3 etc.
This is the best way to understand what's going on.

Further ideas:
13 77 Dialog.pm : It tried to write something at position y=13,x=77
Needs a 24x80 screen, did you use a XXx40 screen?

Michel.