Newbie - 3.1r0a - "locale" problem on new install

Hello Debian Users:

I haven't seen this on the FAQ or any of the recent
messages that I have found.  I'm trying to recycle an
old NEC Pentium 200 with 128Mb of RAM so I can
experiment with Linux.  I am not trying to dual boot
or anything fancy - Debian will have the whole disk.
loaded up Debian from the binary 1 image of Debian 3.1
r0a.

After an initial glitch with a GRUB error 18 that was
apparently
caused by a partition being too large - I think this
was due to the old BIOS on the machine combined with a
large hard drive (I cut the partition down and made
two partitions) it installed smoothly and seemed to
recognize all the hardware.  It finished the install
and I rebooted from the system now loaded on the hard
drive.

Again, all seemed to go well until it got to "This
program will now walk you through the process of
setting up . . ."

Then I got three error messages that repeated (it
seemed to be in  a loop) -

First -
13 77 Failed at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 166

then -
Can't exec "locale": No such file or directory at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 12

and -
Use of uninitialized value in scalar chomp at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 13

I couldn't find any way to make it go any further.  I
was able to shut down and I booted up a Knoppix CD,
mounted the HD file systems and was able to look at
the scripts.  Dialog.pm is aparently generated by
another process.  The version on the drive didn't have
anywhere close to 166 lines.  I was able to look at
the script Encoding.pm and I saw where it was trying
to use "locale" but I didn't see anything I could do
to resolve the error.

I would appreciate any advice or assistance.

I apologize in advance if I have overlooked something
obvious (I did try to RTFM and I didn't see anything
about this).

Thanks,

Eric