Re: Best way to upgrade Kde 3.3 (Sarge)

> There are three ways I know of:
>
> 1) build kde using konstruct: http://developer.kde.org/build/konstruct/
> 2) upgrade your system to testing or unstable
> 3) find some backports
>
> 1 will build a nice KDE for one user, which might be what you want. It
> will not help if you need patches later.

One can move this one user KDE to /usr/local or something like that. I found
that it still looks for stuff on the /home/kde... directory. A symlink to
the /usr/local/kde... fixed that.

However Konstruct is not as painless as it is cracked up to be. There are
always errors or something missing, it seems. However, I had a working 3.4.3
for all users but seem stuck with many of the older 3.3.* /usr/bin apps
(which work fine with the newer libaries event though ...

> 2 is risky and will mean spending a lot of time keeping your system
> running, but is the only real way to get bleeding edge stuff in debian.

I am using Sid but stay off the KDE, QT3 upgrades. They have become a
dependency nightmare. The old apps work just fine with the newer kde
libraries so why must apt throw them away.

> 3 is good if you find a good set of packages but can be a mess
> otherwise.

At your own risk.

> If I were you, I could look for a good set of backports, and failing
> that build it with konstuct.

If one can get a complete konstruct installation, then apt can remove the old
stuff. However, now one is stuck with konstruct for upgrades and this touches
audio stuff as well if your are into this.