Re: dialup modem recommendation for debian sagre?

robert wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Katipo" <katipo@westnet.com.au>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2005 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: dialup modem recommendation for debian sagre?

Just get a Maestro Woomera.

It's based on a Rockwell 56K chip, so it's recognised during install,
and has many other features including self-adjusting resistance level to
compensate for line fluctuations.
In five years, in a rural setting with wild line fluctuations, I've
never had a connection drop at my end.

Most external serial modems will work with linux (debian)! I use a Topic,
works like a swiss watch.I've used it on Debian, Knoppix, Kanotix and
Ubuntu.

webguy

Depends on where you are.
Anything will work in the city where everything is nice and stable.
But where you have a powerline going over an electric fence, for example, and that electric fence gets turned on, an electric field is set up and you'll drop your connection.

This doesn't happen with a Woomera. It alters its resistance factor immediately, to compensate so you don't lose the connection. It also stores a history of each connection so that it can react even more efficiently in the future on each line you may happen to connect through. It has a number of other features that should be standard on all modems, but aren't.

The Woomera was researched and created for the rural environment, and I believe that's what the OP was inquiring about.