Re: Upgrading to linux-2.6.14.2

Jeff Lucas wrote:
> I've been trying to install an update from linux-2.4.27-2-k7 to
> linux-2.6.14.2.  But when I install the kernel package that I built and
> reboot to linux-2.6.14.2 it brings up a kernel panic.  When I created the
> menu config file I made sure that all filesystems where to be installed in
> the package and not as modules.  I also built the IDE chipset and SCSI into
> the package.  Nothing has worked so far.  I am a BRAND NEW user to linux and
> I'm using debian GNU/Linux 3.1.  I need detailed info if possible.
>
> Thanx
>
> Jeff

Compiling the kernel oneself is not for the light-hearted :^) In
theory, it is easy if you follow the instructions. In practice, is
looking for trouble, unless you know what you are doing. I don't want
to disencourage learning and getting experience, but I suggest that you
use a prepackaged kernel image, instead.

Once you get a Debian-packaged standard 2.6 kernel working, you can
fiddle to your heart's content with a kernel.org source, and try to
compile it. That way, you

1) already have a 2.6 kernel running (your #1 objective, I guess)

, and

2) know that if your compiled kernel doesn't boot, it is because of
some configuration mistake you made, and not some other weird thing
that prevents such a kernel version from booting in your specific
machine.

, and

3) take advantage of the APT packaging system that is an important part
of the reasons one uses Debian in first place.

HTH,

     Basajaun