Upgrading to linux-2.6.14.2

I've been trying to install an update from linux-2.4.27-2-k7 to
linux-2.6.14.2.  But when I install the kernel package that I built and
reboot to linux-2.6.14.2 it brings up a kernel panic.  When I created the
menu config file I made sure that all filesystems where to be installed in
the package and not as modules.  I also built the IDE chipset and SCSI into
the package.  Nothing has worked so far.  I am a BRAND NEW user to linux and
I'm using debian GNU/Linux 3.1.  I need detailed info if possible.

Thanx

Jeff