Re: Slow server response

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 09:02:37AM -0500, Ed Curtis wrote:

> Just recently one of our servers has started to respond to certain
> requests rather slowly. POP, SMTP, and SSH reqeusts have started showing
> slower reponse times from the server. I'm running Woody on a dual
> processor machine with 2 gigs of memory and a hardware raid. Uptime shows
> our load average at 1.17 and top shows 98.2% system resources free. I
> don't know where to look to find out why the server is repsonding so slow.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed

Hi Ed,

first you should ask yourself, how do I quantify 'rather slowly'?
And now just some random thoughts...

- what does some kind of network monitoring tool (I use xnetload) show
  for the interface in question when idle? when making a connection?

- if the server is attached through an LAN, try pinging it from another
  machine (as root) with ping -f (flood ping) and watch the network
  saturation

- use some tool like ethereal to analyze the packets exchanged while
  making a connection

Cheers,
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred