Re: Mplayer sound problem(SOLVED)

Thanks John,
In the mean time, the problem was solved. I've found a posting on an alsa related site with the solution. Accordingly, on the debian system if you install the "alsa-base" package it configures automatically the sound system. So, I installed the package and it seems, it repaired the damage and now, Mplayer is working fine both in command line and graphic modes.
J. Mak

John <j5483@yahoo.com> wrote:
Can you remember which files? Try starting mplayer from the command line
like this, "mplayer -ao alsa /file_to_test_with/". That will tell
mplayer to use alsa as the audio output. If that doesn't work replace
alsa with arts. If either of those work, as root add or modify a line
"ao=alsa" (arts instead of alsa if needed ) in /etc/mplayer.conf. Also
delete your ~/.mplayer/config file as it's settings will override the
global setting in /etc/mplayer.conf.