Re: sytem running out of free disk space

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 07:13:26PM +0100, Realos wrote:
> I see there are lots of documentations and unnecessary things on my
> system (like locales I will never use etc.).
>
> Can you people point me to a documentation or give some hints how to
> deal with such problems in debian? I am not new to linux but have
> relatively little experience with debian.

In my experience, as tempting as it would be to delete the locales and
documentation, it wouldn't give me much of a saving. Do the following to
itemize your disk:

du / | sort -nk1 > out-file

Then tail that file and/or grep -v bits out to figure out where it's all
going. Common culprits include gigantic, old log files.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/