utmp not updated

Hello.

I have problems with the who command.

Sometimes (once a week ?), the list of users shown by the who command gets frozen, and is no more updated as the users logs in/out.

If I look at the last modification time of the file /var/run/utmp, I can see that it is no more upated.

If I reboot, the the who command works again, for one week, then freeze again.

The problem may appear when a lot of users (>20) open a Gnome session at the same time on X terminals.

What can be the cause ?

Is my utmp file getting corrupted ?

Is there a lock somewhere preventing the utmp file to be updated ?

Any help is welcome.

My config :

System : current Debian/testing

Platform : x86