Re: changin XTerm colors

Jim Ottaway <j.ottaway@lse.ac.uk> wrote:

> Is it possible that you need to change the VT100 resources rather than
> XTerm ones?  It looks like VT100 is used for colours in
> /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color, and it might over-ride XTerm
> resources.  I have this in my ~/.Xresources:

VT100 is the class name for the vt100 widget which is under the XTerm
window.

> *VT100*background:  xtermbg

The asterisks tell Xt to apply that to anything with an application name
"background" anywhere under anything with a class name of VT100.  One
could have an application with multiple levels containing the same class
name.  If you know the actual hierarchy, a "." works better since it is
more specific, and overrides a wildcard in the same position which might
be set in the system's app-defaults file (or by xrdb).  Most use of xrdb
is misguided (but it does reduce the amount of work the desktop people
do ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net