Re: grammar checkers

On 11/13/05, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
>     These are precisely the people who shouldn't be using grammer software and
> should use spelling software with care.  It is because just these people might
> not know there is a mistake in the words their software approves because
> they're spelled correctly[1].  Spelling, being far more mechanical than
> grammer, is easier to check.  Grammer suffers exponentially from the same
> problem.  Just because the computer says it is right doesn't make it so.  It's
> great for people who are fluent so they can have a second check on their work.
>  But it must always be secondary to their own spelling and grammer.  They must
> have the confidence to know when they are correct and the computer is
> incorrect otherwise they will make many misguided mistakes and end up sounding
> like their missives were computer generated.

It's grammAr.  Fool.  A spelling and grammAr checker in your email
client would have empowered you and (more importantly) prevented you
from looking like a complete idiot.  See the use now?

>No, the function of computers is to do what we tell them to do, not the
>other way around.

People use computers for whatever reasons they want to, and its none
of your goddamn business telling this guy how and why he should use
his computer.  He wants his computer to spell check, and why the hell
doesn't it?

not be vehicles that extend the prejudices of the physical world.
--
www.gnu.org