Re: Is Debian ready for the desktop?

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:46:06PM -0800, Steve Mazurek wrote:

> I've used FC2, Mandrake (both of which I like very much) and Debian Sarge.
> Currently I am using Xandros, which is Debian-based. I'm not using Sarge
> right now because there are a lot of packages included and it's hard for me
> to determine which I need or don't need. If i install too many, I'll
> probably get things messed up. What I'm going to do is get a book dedicated
> specifically to Debian, determine what I need, and then reinstall Debian
> Sarge. But I will definitely go back to Debian.

The book is a good idea, grab your book and your install disks and then
just experiment. One of the great things about debian is it's package
system, you can install or remove anything you like. Just look through
dselect or apptitude and install whatever looks interesting. If you find
you made a mistake, just remove it, or leave it there for another day.
This stuff is all available to you, but I doubt you'll ever get around
to it all. At least I haven't!