Re: Window manager/desktop environment that's not RAM-intensive

Robert Waldner wrote:
Hi!

I'm currently converting the SOs laptop to Debian. Problem is that
it's rather underpowered in terms of RAM - 128 MB and no chance of upgrading.

WMaker uses ~4MB of RAM, less than emacs under X.
Very fast, lean, and with a nice number of features.
Technically it is not a real Integrated Desktop Environment like KDE and Gnome, but I'm personally not suffering from the difference.

I guess I can't double click on some file and have it launch some application but that kind of integration, at least under Windows, seems to have introduced a lot of bugs and security problems. But it's probable that my household of users is an exception to the demographics of the common user.