Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

Scott wrote:
> I was absolutely blown away by this:
>
> The latest official Debian Sarge package for Firefox is for v 1.04!
> http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/m/mozilla-firefox/
>
> I'm rather surprised to see this.  Why?
>
> Firefox is currently @ 1.07 and every "point" release since 1.0 has been
> due to security issues.
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/
>
> It's *especially* true with the latest version.
>
> OK, Debian developers, help me out on this one will ya? ;-)

Help yourself out by reading the debian-security-announce list.  Also
available on Usenet as linux.debian.announce.security (yes, the words
are swapped which is confusing).  Also read follow-ups and other
discussion on debian-security / linux.debian.security.

If you had been following, you would know that current security policy
regarding Firefox is to drop in the entire next point release, rather
than attempt to backport security fixes.  The alteration of the version
number is slightly odd in my opinion, but that's how it is being handled.

I also trust that as you're running unstable, you are following
debian-devel-announce / linux.debian.announce.devel.