Re: Strange problem of /dev/cdrom disappearing under sid

Dang, what did you do right? I had virtually the same problem a few days
ago, posted about it and it took a day to get a (albeit very friendly)
response! :-)

I'm still trying to work on the problem though.  I've not found a solution.

Alexis Sukrieh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm experiencing a really strange issue there, with a laptop under a
> fresh sid system (installed from scratch two days ago).
>
> The laptop is an ASUS W3V, the CDROM device is a CDRW/DVD+R writer
> combo.

In my case it's a ABS M64 desktop, but I don't think that matters much.

> First of all, the CDROM device works great: I can boot on the Sarge
> netinst CDROM, moreover it's well seen in the BIOS.

Exactly!

> Everything looks ok for the hardware: I can open it and when I put a CD
> media inside, the device starts cycling it as expected.

Yep....

> Note that I used to use it for burning CDRWs and DVDs and for reading
> CDROM/DVDROM media. It used to work perfectly.

Mine worked great (very recently) under Ubuntu 5.04, 5.10 and Fedora Core 4.

> Since I had a problem with my hard disk (the partition table got
> corrupted during a crash), I had to reinstall a new system.

Similar here, that's when I switched from Fedora Core to Debian etch.

> I used the Sarge 3.1 netinst CDROM (so I booted on it), then
> dist-upgraded to Sid.

Very similar here,  I used Sarge CD-1, just to get a base install done.
Then I did a dist-upgrade and then installed the etch packages I wanted.
But in my case everything worked fine for a while and then the CD-ROM
(well DVD-ROM, actually) drives no longer functioned.

> By now, everything looks like I don't have any CDROM device:

Yep. Same here.

> - The first thing I find really weird is that dmesg does not show any
> information about my CDROM device. There is simply nothing about it.

Exactly!  It shows shows my external hard drive, my USB devices, my two
internal hard drives, but no mention of the DVD drives at all. It's like
they just vanished.

> - under udev, I just don't have /dev/hdc, neither the symlink /dev/cdrom

Mine are

ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*",            SYMLINK+="cdrom%e"
ENV{ID_CDROM_CD_RW}=="?*",      SYMLINK+="cdrw%e"
ENV{ID_CDROM_DVD}=="?*",        SYMLINK+="dvd%e"
ENV{ID_CDROM_DVD_R}=="?*",      SYMLINK+="dvdrw%e"

> - under hotplug, I have /dev/hdc but cannot mount any device: "not a
> valid block device". Moreover, eject does not work neither: "cannot
> open /dev/hdc".
>
> - cdrecord -scanbus shows nothing.

Ditto...

> Now the very strange part:
> If I boot on a 2.4.27 Debian kernel, the CDROM is seen, dmesg speaks
> about it...
>
> I'm investigating for more than 2 days now, and I would really welcome
> any idea that could help me getting back the device.

I had done that initially but upgraded to a 2.6 later and (as I stated
previously) the drives still worked for a time.  I think when I upgraded
the kernel again is when the problem appeared.

If you figure this out *please* let me know how you did it.  With luck
I'll have it figured out by then, but just in case....

Thanks.

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com