Re: unsubsrib

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 12 November 2005 14:35, Steve Lamb wrote:
>
>>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>   Y'know, I didn't see your signature and certainly don't consider
>>Thunderbird broken.  Of course it is because I installed the Quote
>>Colors extension and have signatures hidden.  I call that a
>>preference.  :P
>
> And its preventing you from seeing the unsubscribe instructions
> appended to every message comeing through these servers.

That's not the only place they appear in the message.....

> You choice if you want to look like you just got off the bus.

Um.. Naah, I'll just let that one go. I'd have waay to much fun with it.

> I looked at Thunderbird because a friend was raving about it.  It
> didn't impress me, but then I'm used to kmail from kde 3.3.0.

> Html doodads are nothing but a PITA that quadruples the size of the message,

Agreed. But in many cases I don't mind.

> email should be pure text.

Point me to the RFC.  I'd not heard that before.
 If this were truly the case, your beloved KMail would not allow one to
compose/read HTML emails.

On a related note, I won't argue that HTML on a mailing list is a no-no,
unless the list admin specifically states otherwise.  I've seen a few
lists that allow it but they are rather rare.  I only use HTML in email
when it's a personal email, to someone I know and whom I know can read
them (e.g. I know they use Kmail and not Mutt).

> TBird makes that difficult IMO.

Not difficult at all.  Quite easy, actually.  The last time I looked at
Kmail the settings were similar.

> It's  pretty, yes, but its usability to me is a -1.

It's great by itself and downright awesome after some downloads from
https://addons.mozilla.org

> And you cannot count either.  I could get rid of the Openoffice blurb,
> but the rest stays, its been there for years and you are the first to
> complain in about 7 years now...

I find this amusing coming from someone who dictates that "[all] emails
should be pure [plain] text"

You might want to take a look @ http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
(Wow a URL pointing to a plain text file on a web site!).

Allow me to quote from there:

"If you include a signature keep it short. Rule of thumb is no longer
than 4 lines. "

As a matter of fact, most NNTP servers and a number of mailing lists,
remove anything in a sig after the 4th line.

Big sigs are just downright obnoxious and there are a number of  client
programs and scripts out there that were written to remove/obscure them
from email/usenet postings.   They are really useless for the most part
(mine included).  All the information you *really* need can be found in
the headers of the message.

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com