Re: nvidia drivers and 2.6.13.4

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 09:08:36AM +0200, Andras Lorincz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using testing and installed the nvidia drivers following the
> instructions on
> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html. But after
> restart X won't start, but if I reinstall the nvidia modules package
> generated with make-kpkg, it works. But in this case also after the nvidia
> splashscreen appears and before the kdm dialog appears, on the screen some
> vertical stripes can be seen. So why do I need to reinstall after restart
> the nvidia modules?
>
> P.S. The module is loaded at startup as I put it in /etc/modules.

Hi,

Which version of the nvidia module are you using?

Grab the one from experimental. I had this problem too only a week or
two ago. It is because the one in unstable did not support some new
kernel thingy for automatically creating device nodes in /dev.

The debian kernel package creates the /dev files manually when you
install it, which is why it works until the next reboot.

The experimental version (7676) at the time I got it works fine.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a