Re: looking for a transparent hardware RAID controller for debian

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 07:52 -0800, David Kirchner wrote:
> On 11/9/05, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > Last week on the list someone mentioned possible problems with
> > the 3ware 9xxx cards and newer kernels.  Maybe it's been resolved,
> > maybe not.
>
> Yeah, someone was having trouble with kernel panic -- the VFS cannot
> mount root one indicating that the card wasn't being recognized by the
> kernel. Haven't heard if he got it resolved or not, though. I can
> personally confirm that the 2.6 kernel can see 9xxx series cards, at
> least the 9500S-12:
>
> # uname -a
> Linux raid 2.6.13.2 #1 SMP Fri Sep 30 16:42:38 PDT 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
> # ./tw_cli info
>
> Ctl   Model        Ports   Drives   Units   NotOpt   RRate   VRate   BBU
> c0    9500S-12     12      12       1       0        4       4       OK
> c1    9500S-12     12      12       1       0        4       4       OK

The issue was performance, though.  Are you getting good speed?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"As the night fall does not come at once, neither does
oppression. It is in such twilight that we must all be aware of
change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting
victims of the darkness."
Justice William O. Douglas