Re: looking for a transparent hardware RAID controller for debian

On 11/9/05, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> Last week on the list someone mentioned possible problems with
> the 3ware 9xxx cards and newer kernels.  Maybe it's been resolved,
> maybe not.

Yeah, someone was having trouble with kernel panic -- the VFS cannot
mount root one indicating that the card wasn't being recognized by the
kernel. Haven't heard if he got it resolved or not, though. I can
personally confirm that the 2.6 kernel can see 9xxx series cards, at
least the 9500S-12:

# uname -a
Linux raid 2.6.13.2 #1 SMP Fri Sep 30 16:42:38 PDT 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
# ./tw_cli info

Ctl   Model        Ports   Drives   Units   NotOpt   RRate   VRate   BBU
c0    9500S-12     12      12       1       0        4       4       OK
c1    9500S-12     12      12       1       0        4       4       OK