Re: Booting 2.6.8 on x686 Sarge without initrd: VFS: Unable to mount root fs

>>>you could just try lspci -vv to see if you can identify the module
>>>required for ide.  if not post to the list.
>>

>> See attached.
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>> TEH
>> (See attached file: lspci_output)

>AFAIK the ICH5 chipset is supported by the piix ide driver so try
>answering 'y' to this and let me know how you get on.

Hmmm, no, it doesn't boot yet. Attached is my .config. Another problem that
I see when I ran `make-kpkg modules_image` is that it doesn't seem to do
anything at all....:

debian:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8# make-kpkg modules_image
for module in  ; do                       \
          if test -d  $module; then                                \
    (cd $module;                                          \
              if ./debian/rules KVERS="2.6.8" KSRC="/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8" \
                             KMAINT="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer" KEMAIL="unknown@unconfigured.in.etc.kernel-pkg.conf"      \
                             KPKG_DEST_DIR="/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8/.."       \
                             KPKG_MAINTAINER="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer"        \
                             KPKG_EXTRAV_ARG=""        \
                             ARCH="i386"                  \
                             KDREV="custom.2.6.8" kdist_image; then    \
                  echo "Module $module processed fine";            \
              else                                                  \
                   echo "Module $module failed.";                  \
                   if [ "X" != "X" ]; then      \
                      echo "Perhaps $module does not understand --rootcmd?";  \
                      echo "If you see messages that indicate that it is not"; \
                      echo "in fact being built as root, please file a bug ";  \
                      echo "against $module.";                     \
                   fi;                                              \
                   echo "Hit return to Continue";                   \
         read ans;                                        \
              fi;                                                   \
  else                                                      \
               echo "Module $module does not exist";               \
               echo "Hit return to Continue?";                      \
  fi;                                                       \
        done
debian:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8#

(See attached file: Debian_config)

Regards,