only Root can play sound in GNOME

Hi all,

I just installed Debian sarge with X and the following problem occurs: When I log in in Gnome as a regular user my speakers are making noise like a factorymachine (alternating silence and 'tshhh') and I can't play audiofiles.
While logged in as Root, or logged in in KDE as regular user there's no problem.

I already checked that I am in the 'audio'  group, and changed permissions of /dev/mixer* and /dev/dsp* to 777 (just to make sure... i know it's nasty)

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Joris