Re: Deleting XP and installing Debian

Marty wrote:
Scott Rebman wrote:

Hi,
            I have recently acquired an older (Pentium II 350MHz)
computer from my work and I was planning on getting rid of Win XP home
that is currently on it and installing Debian.  We use Debian at school
and I was looking to play around with it at home to develop a better
understanding of how it works.  The problem is that I can't get it to
boot up from the Debian install disk. I have binary 1, 2, and 3 burned
and they seem to work fine on my main computer, but refuse to boot on
the old one.  If anybody has any ideas as to how I can get this done,
please let me know.  I do not need anything from the old computer so
formatting it is totally ok. Thanks!
Scott

This is typical of old hardware.

Try one of the installation floppy images on the installation CD-ROM, along
with linux or DOS programs for making the install floppy. There are several
kernels to choose from, depending on your hardware requirements.  Read the
instructions.  After booting with the floppy, select CD-ROM as the
installation medium.

Before doing that, have you checked the BIOS to see what the boot order is? It may be that your old BIOS cannot boot from the CD-ROM, in which case you need to proceed as above. It may also be that the BIOS can be set to boot from CD-ROM but this has not been done. If this is the case, simply change the boot order to put the CD-ROM ahead of the HD and then reboot with CD #1 in the drive.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com