Numeric weirdness

Hi guys,

I had a Duron 750 as a gateway/firewall/proxy at home, which I replaced, about
two months ago, with a similar, but faster machine (AthlonXP 1700+) mostly
because the Athlon PC in total is far more quiet and I have plans for a
gaming server.

As things happen, I need an extra desktop, so I swapped the machines again,
making the Duron 750 the firewall again.   It's running sarge, and was
originally installed on this machine.  On both occasions I transplanted the
network cards, optical drives and hard drive and debian didn't even notice
it's a new machine.

But on the swich back to the Duron I'm getting some weirdness.  Anything with
a progress indicator - apt-get install, btdownloadheadless, etc. has the
progress percentage tumbling between seemingly random numbers.  For example,
after switching on the box, I wanted to restart the torrents that were
running, and when it checks how much of the file exists locally, it goes 11%
578% 80% -341225%

There are othe problems too.  Squid doesn't want to start, it complains about
a configuration error (the config file is unchanged) on line 9 of the config
file - line 9 is still comments, and the parameter it refers to - cache_mem -
isn't even specified.

btdownloadheadless crashes with python errors, apt-get install gives errors
relating to debconf, and somewhere along the line (can't remember what I was
trying to do) I got an error saying my perl is too old - this is a stock
standard Sarge install.

Has anybody seen this behaviour before?   I have reseated the memory and ran
memtest all night without any errors.  I'm puzzled - this machine was running
fine as a test server for the last two months.

Thanks
Hans