Deleting XP and installing Debian

Hi,
            I have recently acquired an older (Pentium II 350MHz) computer from my work and I was planning on getting rid of Win XP home that is currently on it and installing Debian.  We use Debian at school and I was looking to play around with it at home to develop a better understanding of how it works.  The problem is that I can’t get it to boot up from the Debian install disk. I have binary 1, 2, and 3 burned and they seem to work fine on my main computer, but refuse to boot on the old one.  If anybody has any ideas as to how I can get this done, please let me know.  I do not need anything from the old computer so formatting it is totally ok.
Thanks!
Scott