Re: Subversion repository permissions

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 10:03:28PM +0100, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On søndag 06 november 2005, 10:54, Simo Kauppi wrote:
> > Check your /etc/logrotate.d/apache2 (or /etc/logrotate.conf).
>
> I've investigated further, and it definitely has nothing to do with
> logrotate or postrotate. This is clear because the problem occurred in
> a period when logrotate was not run.
>
> The problem is not _that_ strongly connected to Apache. The real problem
> is the user that runs svn at the time when the Berkeley DB happens to
> rotate its logs, and that has nothing to do with logrotate, I'm pretty
> sure. In fact, I'm not sure it is "logs" in the common sense at all, it
> may be svn giving it that name.
>
> If that user happens to be www-data, I need to tell www-data that it
> must create the file with 664, that's the crucial thing, I think. But I
> can't see how. Other than edit apache2ctl, but since there is nothing
> about svn in there, I'm not sure it would even help...

Ah, I see. The standard way would of course be to put umask 002 into the
.bashrc and/or .bash_profile in user's homedir, but www-data is a system
user and www-data's homedir is /var/www, so I don't think that would work.

If it has something to do with apache2ctl, then you could try to put
'umask 002' into the /etc/apache2/envvars, because apache2ctl sources
that file before doing anything.

> Cheers,
>
> Kjetil
> --
> Kjetil Kjernsmo
> Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer
> kjetil@kjernsmo.net
> Homepage: http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/     OpenPGP KeyID: 6A6A0BBC

Simo
--