Re: Problems with kinput2

I'm no expert on these things, so take my advice with a bit of salt,
I use kinput2 sometimes and I've found some apps just won't take it,
also my own configuration for kinput2 uses a different LC_CTYPE value
anfd somewhere (I don't remeber where) I read that kinput expects to
work with EUC or SJIS, I'm not sure it can do UTF-8.

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:09:59 -0500
Bryan Donlan <bdonlan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to configure kinput2 for Japanese text input, but as of
yet
> I've had no success. I have the following lines in my ~/.Xdefaults and
> have merged them using xrdb:
> *KinputProtocol.XlcConversionStartKey:  Shift<Key>space
> *ConversionStartKeys:  Shift<Key>space
> *inputMethod: kinput2
>
> I also have the following in my ~/.xsession:
> [...]
> export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
> export XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2'
> kinput2 -xim -kinput -canna &
> [...]

I use:
XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"
LANGUAGE=en_US
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP

> However, kinput2 fails to trigger in either firefox or gvim.
>
> Ideally I'd like it to work with a menu key trigger, but <Key>Menu
> didn't work any better than Shift<Key>space.

X apps are very different in nature, so you may want to try kinput2 on a
simple kterm before trying other apps, just to make sure it's not a
problem with that particular application.

I hope it helps.
--
Leonel Duran F.
P. 2502