Re: Comfortable with Debian,but 4 points...

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 16:48 -0800, nuno romano wrote:
--snip--
> -Java: I don´t know which Java Runtime Environment,SDK
>  is the most effective,the blackdown.org or the
>  Gnu classpath,gcj,or other.For example,I want to
>  compile and run JGR a frontend for R(the statistics
>  software),which needs Java2-1.5,and I think none of
>  the above JRE,SDKs provides Java2-1.5.
>  Blackdown´s provide for the PPC Java2-1.3.1.
>  Do you know why Debian does not ship Blackdown´s
> Java?

I don't believe it's actually possible to even run any version of Sun's
JRE on a PPC Linux machine. Sun and Blackdown only offer versions for
i386 and amd64. I know that Apple packages the JRE with OS X, but that's
still at 1.4.2 AFAIK. So, unfortunately, it looks like you're going to
be out of luck on that front.

> -Macromedia´s Shockwave Flash Player: The possible
>  solutions,none seems effective for the PPC.I can´t
>  see Flash content in Mozilla.Do you know of a
>  method,program to do that effectively?Advice
>  appreciated.

I don't think it's possible to run Macromedia's player on a PPC Linux
machine, unfortunately. There are a few free flash players available in
Debian, but they aren't really usable for most modern sites. (I'm in the
same boat as I have an AMD64 system and refuse to run a 32-bit browser.)

> -Security Enhanced Linux: Is the next release of
>  Debian(Sid,I think) scheduled to ship a standard
>  kernel which implements SEL as a LSM?

The next release is actually Etch. Sid is permanently the unstable
branch. (As the releases are named after Toy story characters, Sid was
the extremely unstable child.)

I'm not sure about what the current status of security support is in the
newest kernel, but you can easily upgrade your kernel without upgrading
the rest of the system. 2.6.8 is currently available for Debian stable
(Sarge) on PPC.

> -An encrypted partition: The methods available
>  dm-crypt,loop-AES,are they effective?

While I haven't used either myself, I know that there are a fair number
of people using dm-crypt already. The security on it currently isn't
great, but it's better than a naked filesystem. If you're going to be
holding top-secret government documents and need to have your keyboard
handcuffed to your wrist, it's probably not good enough. :) But for day
to day use with some additional security it should be good. And as
dm-crypt is easily extensible, if someone writes an excellent encryption
plugin for it you will have the benefit of that update.

Sorry that I couldn't give you some better news, but I hope that the
information helps a little bit at least. Oh, and welcome to Debian! :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837