Re: Comfortable with Debian,but 4 points...

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 04:48:38PM -0800, nuno romano wrote:
> After some months with Debian(3.1PowerPC)I´m
> generally comfortable with it:
>
> -compiling software,and dealing with the different
>  aspects of the package management system(good stuff!)
>
> -Connections to the Internet.
>
> -Printing system: my 70 dollars inkjet prints
>  documents,photos with quality nearly identical
>  to a 400 dollars laser printer,with refilled
>  inkjet cartridges.
>

> However,four points:
>
> -Java: I don´t know which Java Runtime Environment,SDK
>  is the most effective,the blackdown.org or the
>  Gnu classpath,gcj,or other.For example,I want to
>  compile and run JGR a frontend for R(the statistics
>  software),which needs Java2-1.5,and I think none of
>  the above JRE,SDKs provides Java2-1.5.
>  Blackdown´s provide for the PPC Java2-1.3.1.
>  Do you know why Debian does not ship Blackdown´s
> Java?

You probably want to download java-package and get your favorite Sun or
IBM JDK.  Then you can turn the .bin file into a .deb for your system
that you can install locally using `dpkg -i <pkg name>`.

> -Macromedia´s Shockwave Flash Player: The possible
>  solutions,none seems effective for the PPC.I can´t
>  see Flash content in Mozilla.Do you know of a
>  method,program to do that effectively?Advice
>  appreciated.

I use Marillat's sources for Flash and several other packages that can't
go into Debian for various reasons.

ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat

> -Security Enhanced Linux: Is the next release of
>  Debian(Sid,I think) scheduled to ship a standard
>  kernel which implements SEL as a LSM?

I believe so, yes.  There has been much discussion about SELinux issues
on the developer mailing list.

> -An encrypted partition: The methods available
>  dm-crypt,loop-AES,are they effective?

That depends on what you want to encrypt, why and how important it is to
have quick/easy access to it.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez